The Town Hall is located on the corner of Main Street and Hawthorne Avenue in Old Ottawa East.
The original pictures were taken by James Ballantyne between 1895 and 1912.
Ballantyne lived across the street from the town hall at 54 Main Street, and was one of the original members of the Ottawa Camera Club, established in 1894. There are more than 750 of his photos online at Library and Archives Canada.
Election day in Ottawa East, January 1, 1901.
John Mahon and others working on the the foundation of the new Ottawa town hall.
One of the first tasks of the new Ottawa East Council, headed by Reeve James Ballantyne local coal merchant and amateur photographer, was to build its own Town Hall. Council purchased land from the Robert Lee’s estate at the corner of Main Street and Hawthorne Avenue and contracted student architect Henry F. Ballantyne, son of Thomas Ballantyne and nephew to James to design the building.
The first official Council meeting took place in the new premises on October 2, 1895 with Reeve Ballantyne presiding.